Tuesday, February 18, 2014

My Anti-Bucket List: Things I Really Could Go Without

People invest a lot of time into thinking about their bucket lists.  My personal bucket list contains activities like travelling to Paris and London (again), dying my hair an unusual color (just once), and going to a Red Sox game.  These are all perfectly attainable and I hope to do so at some point, but that will take time.  I could sit here and plan out my bucket list, but everyone does that.  Instead, here is my anti-bucket list.  This is a list of experiences I have not yet had and would be perfectly content with going without for my entire life.

1. Get into a Car Accident
Everyone gets into a car accident at some point in their lives.  My car has been hit four times and I was only in the car during one of them, but all incidents were minor and in parking lots.  I have never been in a major car accident and I would love to never be involved.  The sad part of this is that it is almost inevitable.  Statistically speaking, it is going to happen.  I just hope that when it does, it will be something that causes very little damage and does not harm me or anyone else.

2. Get a Tattoo
I have expressed my feelings towards tattoos many times.  I have friends and family with tattoos and while I love them, I hate their tattoos.  I have never cared for them and I would not mind going the rest of my life without one.

3. Own a Dog
I am a complete cat person.  Dogs completely disgust me and I find them annoying as well as putrid.  I do not find them cute or appealing at all.  I would love to go the rest of my life without ever owning a dog (sorry future kids).

4. Go See a Horror Movie
I hate horror movies with a passion.  Out of politeness, I will watch horror movies with my friends if they decide it is what they want to watch, but if I can avoid them, I will.  My first horror flick was "The Silence of the Lambs" (required for a psychology class) and I was unable to walk around my house at night without being completely petrified for an entire month.  I will never go to a movie theater and pay money to become terrified.

5. Cheat on Someone
No matter how unhappy I am in a relationship, I will never cheat on anyone.  There is nobody that deserves that kind of heartbreak and I will certainly never be the person to cause that much hurt.  I would have the decency to end a relationship before pursuing another person.

6. Go on a Cruise
I would feel pretty trapped on a boat with hundreds of strangers, relying on a floating hotel to take me around the ocean.  Being reliant on Dramamine and the company of strangers at every corner?  No thank you, please.

7. Ride a Roller Coaster that Goes Upside-Down
During the summer of 2012 I rode my first "real" roller coaster, meaning that there was no height maximum and it was not penguin-themed.  I tried it and felt very proud of myself.  All it did was go up and down, but it was fast and very scary.  I will never ride a roller coaster that goes upside-down.  I hate roller coasters because I am proudly that boring friend that will pay forty dollars to enter the park and only go on the merry-go-round just so she can spend time with her friends.

8. Ride/Drive a Motorcycle
Motorcycles scare me because I fear that a reckless driver is going to hit the bike.  I will never drive a motorcycle or be a passenger on one.  No matter how much faith I have in the machine or the driver, I will not be able to trust ignorant motorists that do not know how to handle being on the road with motorcycles.

9. Shoot a Gun
I could never picture myself shooting a gun because the sight of guns scares me a little.  I would love to go the rest of my life without picking up a gun or shooting it.  I have no problem with hunting--I'm from Vermont, I am so used to everyone doing it.  I have nothing against gun ownership for the purposes of hunting, but I could never feel comfortable being the one handling the gun.

10. Hook Up With Someone Random
Whether you define a hook-up as a make-out or as something more, I assure you that I will never do it.  I cannot comprehend how people go out or go to parties, meet someone, and then hook up with them.  I do not understand why random make-outs happen and I will never completely understand the concept of a one-night-stand.  I would never do this because I cannot separate emotion from these acts.  It might just be me, but I do not approve of going about affection in this way.

11. Get Addicted to a Television Show
I have certain shows that I love, and I will certainly watch the entire series (looking at you, "30 Rock" and "Parks and Recreation").  I will watch them in their entirety when the series is cancelled or it ends.  I do not have the time or interest that is required to watch a show religiously, tuning in every week.  If I missed one, I would probably have some major F.O.M.O.  Therefore, I will watch entire seasons of a show at a time, but I will not watch the show when it plays on a weekly basis.

12. Go to Antarctica
One of the items on many bucket lists is visiting all seven continents.  Where I live, -20 is not an unheard of temperature.  I hate being cold and there is nothing that could ever make me want to go where it is any colder than a Vermont winter.

So there it is, my anti-bucket list.  Things I could easily go without for the rest of my life.  Enjoy my lack of ambition, or rather, my decisiveness towards what I certainly do not want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment