Sunday, January 12, 2014

If I Hosted Saturday Night Live

The actors behind Saturday Night Live absolutely amaze me.  To be able to perform flawlessly in front of not only a live studio audience, but millions on live television is unthinkable to me.  The fact that all of the acting is comedy based and breaking is not a common occurrence is remarkable.  I find this to be fascinating because I have a hard time keeping a straight face even telling a joke.  I have always been a fan of theater, so bringing that to live television and mixed with my favorite genre, comedy, makes Saturday Night Live one of my favorite shows.  I have considered for years what I would do if for some reason I was given the opportunity to host the iconic show.
First of all, I would open with my monologue.  Many celebrities talk about their upcoming projects that they are promoting.  Others, usually comedians, do some stand up comedy.  The rest usually resort to some sort of comedic song that relies a lot on the other cast members.  I cannot sing at all, so a song is out of the question.  I feel like I would tell a series of short jokes in a Demetri Martin style.  After that, the most difficult part of the evening, was over, I would proceed to my celebrity impressions and characters.
For my celebrity impression, I would do Aubrey Plaza.  I have a naturally low voice like she does and I would speak with a negative disposition and have banal mannerisms.  I would wear a wig, have heavy eyeliner, dark lips, and not smile at all.  I would act as Aubrey Plaza on "Bein' Quirky with Zooey Deschanel" segment that Saturday Night Live does.  I would work alongside "Zooey Deschanel" and "Michael Cera" who are my two favorite actors, so it would work perfectly.  I enjoy their quirkiness and I will admit that I have a crush on Michael Cera (I hear your judgement, I accept it, I understand why, but I don't care).  Zooey would have me on the show to do an interview of sorts and possibly a craft.  I would explain my boredom with the entire idea and find ways to exaggerate Aubrey's negative disposition that she displays as April Ludgate on "Parks and Recreation".  I would love to play her because she is an idol of mine and I love her deadpan humor, which is my favorite style of comedy.
Another segment that I would love to be a part of would be Weekend Update.  My favorite part of Weekend Update is when Bobby Moynihan comes on to play Drunk Uncle.  He is absolutely hilarious with his glass of scotch, ugly sweater, and commentary on kids today with their iPods and tweeting.  I would love to play Drunk Uncle's ex-wife.  She would also be drunk and make similar comments that Drunk Uncle makes.  She would wear ugly clothing like him and have graying hair.  The two would drunkenly insult each other and make comments towards the other's drinking habits.  Drunk Uncle is one of my favorite recurring characters on the show so playing his wife would be so much fun for me to do.
I am sure that I would be placed in a few more skits, but I would definitely want to play Aubrey Plaza and interact with "Zooey Deschanel" and "Michael Cera".  I would also love to work with Bobby Moynihan, one of my favorites on the show and do something with "Drunk Uncle".
Of course, I will never host Saturday Night Live.  It is fun to think of what I would do if I had the opportunity, but one must be realistic.  I may never host it, but if I ever needed to, I would know exactly what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment