Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Official Guide to My Sleepytime Playlist

I have a playlist that I have titled my "Sleepytime Playlist" because it is perfect to listen to before falling asleep.  It is of a perfect length including just ten songs, so if I end up falling asleep, my iPod will not lose power.  It is also long enough that it ensures that I will (hopefully) fall asleep before it ends.  This is one of the best methods I have found for trying to fall asleep because it is very calming music.  I compiled this list of songs that are perfect for falling asleep to.  Here it is:
1. A Dustland Fairytale by The Killers
I love this song due to how it makes me feel as I listen to it.  I feel like I have been whisked away and placed in the middle of a dramatic fairytale.  It is a dynamic song with a wonderful beat.
2. 3 a.m. by Matchbox 20
This song is just amazing and has the perfect "early 2000's alternative rock" feel that I always go for.  Basically, if it would fit in being played as a transition on "Friends" I like it.  The song is also so quotable, especially any time I stay up until 3 in the morning (which is way more often than I would like to admit).  I don't always stay up until 3 a.m., but when I do, I scream "Baby! It's 3 a.m. I must be lonely!".  The song is soft and wonderful in every way, so I had to put it on my list.
3. Clumsy by Our Lady Peace
I would be lying if I said this song has never made me cry.  It has an acoustic feel with a piano intro.  I do not know exactly why I love this song or why it even makes me cry, but something about singing along when I feel emotional just makes me feel the feels even more.  It is a very wonderful song and it has a strong message, so I put it on my list.
4. Name by The Goo Goo Dolls
I have been really into the Goo Goo Dolls lately, mostly because I love this style of music.  I have known this song for years and it recently surfaced on my Pandora.  I heard it and I knew so many of the words without having heard it in a long time.  When that occurs with a song, I think it shows the connection you have with it.  It is also very acoustic, so it belongs on the list for musical reasons as well as sentimental reasons.
5. Round Here by Counting Crows
When I was about ten years old, I loved listening to some of the Counting Crows' faster paced, more upbeat music.  As I became older, I heard this song and I absolutely love it.  It has wonderful lyrics that tell a story and it has a section with interesting syncopation that is very unique and I just love.
6. Crash Into Me by Dave Matthews Band
This is yet another song that just has a wonderful acoustic sound and is very calming.  It opens with a guitar and has a baritone saxophone play which sounds absolutely beautiful.  Dave Matthews also has a very calming voice and is the Morgan Freeman of singing.  I could listen for hours and be intrigued, yet somehow it makes me feel very sleepy.
7. A Long December by Counting Crows
This is a very emotional song and I have cried while listening to it during emotional times.  It has a wonderful piano in the song that I have actually learned how to play because I enjoy it so much.  Its lyrics talk about how the year has been and gives off the general impression of sadness.  It is sad in a sense that it is not depressing or something anyone can relate to, but something that you could definitely sing along too with tears flowing down your cheeks and feel completely connected to the song.
8. Satellite by Dave Matthews Band
I love that this song has a wonderful acoustic beginning and saxophones playing a very staccato melody.  I also, again, love Dave Matthew's voice.  However, my favorite part of the song is that it is in 3/4 time.  One two three, one two three, one two three... I love it so much.  I have never heard a song that was this way that was not a waltz.  This is certainly the only "modern" song I know that is in 3/4 time and I love how unique it is for that.
9. Romeo and Juliet by The Killers
This is a very beautiful song that has a wonderful story.  It tells the classic "Romeo and Juliet" story and brings it into a modern context, while still keeping some "quotes" from Shakespeare (it is a paraphrased version, so basically the same thing, right?).  I believe my favorite is, "He finds a convenient streetlight, steps out of the shade, says something like, 'You and me babe, how 'bout it?'".  This quote is in direct competition for my favorite with "You promised me everything, you promised me thick and thin, now you just say 'Oh Romeo, yeah, you know I used to have a scene with him" and "I can't do anything, but I'll do anything for you.  I can't do anything but be in love with you".  This song is just perfect to listen to and fall asleep to.
10. Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls
Just thinking about this song brings tears to my eyes.  This is my favorite song at the moment.  It is so beautiful and has such a powerful message to it.  I love the soft-rock feel from the alternative band.  The intro just triggers my tear ducts.  "And I'd give up forever to touch you, 'cause I know that you feel me somehow" is just perfect in every way.  I feel that this can be related to any situation in love, whether it be long term, long distance, or even just a crush you fall hard for.  My absolute favorite is "And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming".  I have found that there are times that I should be a lot more sad than I feel, or at least I think that I should be more sad..  Going through my first break-up was extremely hard.  I am not going to lie to myself or anyone else and say I was not in love or that I did not feel the way I thought I did.  I will not deny for a second that I thought everything would work out in the end.  However, I was caught up in the love that I felt and it caused me to ignore everything that was wrong.  It hurt a lot, but I ended the relationship because the hurt started to become more prominent than the love.  While listening to this song, I felt that "You can't fight the tears that ain't coming" was absolutely perfect for my situation.  I thought that after losing the love that I had and watching what I put so much time and emotion into fall apart, I would be much more sad than I was.  I thought I would be inconsolable for weeks and be hurting so much, but I really was not.  This song helped me so much.  I realized that "when everything's made to be broken" I want the world "to know who I am".  I do not want the world thinking that I am nothing but an ex-girlfriend who spends her time crying.  In fact, what I did was not let that stop me.  I was inspired to become a better version of myself.  I lost ten pounds, I tried even harder in school, became closer with my friends, and reorganized my life.  For me, "Iris" is so much more than a song.  It represents who I became after I became single.  I found myself and I found out how I can be awesome on my own.  "Iris" is the perfect ending to my "Sleepytime Playlist" because it reminds me of how far I have come and how far I am going in such a wonderfully beautiful way.

No comments:

Post a Comment